Boghound's World News

A Humorous Look At News Events And Life Around The World

Archive for October, 2011

I Just Give Up!!

Posted by Boghound on October 21, 2011


Woman, 67, abandons her car after getting stuck reversing out of car park

A woman in Warsaw, Poland, abandoned her car after she jammed it between two walls trying to reverse away from a car park.

Wiola Nowicka, 67, attempted to turn around in the car park’s narrow driveway once she noticed the high prices she would have to pay.

Nowicka’s bad sense of judgement resulted in the driveway being blocked for five hours, as her car was wedged between the driveway walls.

‘I didn’t mean to be a nuisance,’ said Nowicka. ‘After a few turns I couldn’t go backwards or forwards any more.’

Engineers were able to get the car out from the tight space, with careful inch by inch precision.

Nowicka isn’t the only driver over 50, to have misjudged at the wheel.

Earlier this year, an 86-year-old Californian woman crashed her car through the Rock N’ Road cycling shop, narrowly missing customers.

Authorities discovered that the woman had hit the accelerator pedal by mistake, instead of the break.

Lucky no one was hurt in either of the incidents.

Advertisements

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Land Rover Driving??

Posted by Boghound on October 20, 2011


Two beach patrol Land Rovers submerged by high tide

A beach safety team send a Land Rover to rescue their own stranded buggy – only for both vehicles to become submerged as the tide came in.

First the patrol’s six-wheel buggy became stranded a mile out from Cleethorpes Pier, NE Lincs, and then when the team’s yellow Land Rover was dispatched to rescue them it got stranded as well.

The embarrassed officers, who walked to safety as the tide came in, called for the Cleethorpes Lifeboat for help, which was refused.

The farce unfolded at about 4pm on Thursday as sun seekers flocked to the seaside resort and saw the buggy and Land Rover get stuck and then submerged by the waves.

Lifeboat station manager Jack Barlow said: "They took their little buggy out and that got stuck in the mud, so they sent their Land Rover to get it out.

"It was just doing its normal patrols. They go out there all the time, but they went further out this time because of the big tides at this time of year.

"It’s unfortunate, but we couldn’t send our tractor out to that part of the beach because the sand is really unstable.

"Our tractor weighs 6.9 tonnes and if that got stuck, there is nothing in this town that would pull it out.

"If we lost our tractor then people’s lives would be at risk and then there’s the cost of replacing it. If it had been in a different position, we would have pulled them out.

"We’ve pulled the Land Rover out twice in one week before, so we are not averse to helping them."

Members of the Beach Safety Team declined to comment.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Up A Welsh Mountain!

Posted by Boghound on October 19, 2011


4×4 abandoned on Snowdon for second time in a month

A 4×4 vehicle has been abandoned near the top of Mount Snowdon for the second time in a month, this time with a ‘For Sale’ sign in the window.

The Vauxhall Frontera was found near the visitors’ centre at the highest peak in England and Wales yesterday morning.

It is thought to be the same car which was left near the 3,560ft summit on September 3.

The vehicle’s owner, Craig Anthony Williams, 39, from Cheltenham, was charged with dangerous driving and is due in court next week.

Witnesses have said the car had a sign placed in the windscreen which claimed it was to be sold on an internet auction site in aid of the local mountain rescue teams.

Ian Henderson, secretary of Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team, said: ”Even if it is auctioned for the charity we could not accept the donation as this the result of an illegal act.

”Clearly we are unhappy that a car was driven up Snowdon and it presents all the authorities and those who care about the mountain with a very serious problem – how to remove it safely.

”Snowdon is a mountain for all of us to enjoy and it is not a playground for motorists.”

Snowdonia National Park Authority chief executive Aneurin Phillips said: ”This irresponsible behaviour is totally unacceptable and I urge the police to prosecute the offender and impound and dispose of the vehicle.”

A spokeswoman for North Wales Police added: ”North Wales Police received a report just before 10.30am yesterday that a 4×4 vehicle was on Snowdon, parked near the visitors centre at the summit.

”Police inquiries are under way.

”North Wales Police are working with the train operator to ensure the safety of other mountain users.”

The National Park said the car is unlikely to be removed today.

A spokesman said its positioning, close to the railway buildings, was causing "some difficulty".

He said: "We will be speaking to the Snowdon Mountain Railway, police and rescue teams about the best way to remove the vehicle.

"This could take some time."

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Hey…..It’s Free Yogi!!!

Posted by Boghound on October 18, 2011


Bear gobbles up pies at B.C. pizza joint

Andrea Lawrance is used to customers having growling tummies.

But this unexpected visitor had a bear-size case of the munchies.

Lawrance was washing dishes at Fat Tony’s Pizza in Whistler, B.C. Monday night when a furry four-legged customer with a big appetite arrived about 7:30 p.m. for some grub.

"I was working with my friend Jorja and there was a bear outside on our garbage can," Lawrance.

She and co-worker Jorja Threlsall tried to close the door but decided to seek refuge behind the pizza racks as the black bear ripped apart the garbage can in front of them.

While they wondered whether the curious critter was going to cross their threshold, suddenly it wandered into the store to another garbage can inside.

But it turned out, it wasn’t the garbage can it wanted after all.

This bear had its eye on the pie.

"It decided to climb on the counter and put its arms up and steal the pizza and started to eat it," Lawrance said, adding it could only get its front of its body up because it couldn’t quite get a grip on the stainless steel.

A native of B.C., Lawrance said she is used to seeing bears — just not those that prefer in-store dining.

"It was kind of freaky," she said.

"Our first thought was to scare it out."

The girls moved behind the door to hide while about 20 spectators outside started snapping pictures and taking video of the hungry bear.

After trying to scare it out of the store without success, they all watched as the bear demolished four pizzas in half an hour.

"It ate all four pizzas," she said.

"The one he loved the most was beef and blue cheese."

After polishing off the pizzas, which also included cheeseburger and vegetarian, the bear finally left once the girls made some noise.

But the pizza must have been paws-itively delicious, as the bruin came back for more.

"At 10:30 p.m. he came back and we called the cops," she said.

"Then he came around 2 a.m."

But by then, they had closed for the night.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Seconds….Perhaps??

Posted by Boghound on October 17, 2011


Ex-Model Who Killed and Ate Hubby Seeks Parole

A former model who killed, cooked and ate her husband 20 years ago will make a bid for freedom next week.

Omaima Aree Nelson is slated to appear before a California parole board to plead for an early release from Chowchilla State Prison, where she is serving 27 years to life, according to KTLA-TV.

Nelson killed her 56-year-old husband, William Nelson, over Thanksgiving weekend in 1991, just amonth after they married. She had come to the U.S. five years earlier from Egypt, where she worked as a model and nanny.

"It was the most gruesome case I saw," Former Costa Mesa Police Sgt. Bob Phillips told the Los Angeles Times. "She did not seem like a person that was coherent."

At the time of her arrest, Phillips told the Times, "Omaima Nelson is the most bizarre and sick individual I’ve had the occasion to meet. No one needs to look to the Dahmers of Milwaukee or the Hannibal Lecters of the screen. A new predator has emerged, named Omaima."

Nelson claimed at trial she had been abused and her husband had raped her the night before she killed him in their Costa Mesa apartment, according to the Los Angeles Times. After murdering him, Nelson boiled her husband’s head on the stove and fried his hands in oil, the Daily Pilot reported.

She once admitted, but now denies, dipping his body in barbecue sauce. Neighbors at the time said the garbage disposal was on for "a long time" and "constant chopping sounds" were coming from the home, according to the Daily Pilot newspaper.

"Of course, she says that [she doesn’t remember] because the parole board doesn’t want to let a cannibal out," Senior Deputy District Attorney Randy Pawloski told the Daily Pilot.

Nelson offered ex-boyfriends $75,000 to help her dispose of some of the body parts, according to police. She found no takers and was arrested Dec. 2, 1991, after police found trash bags containing human body parts in the couple’s apartment and in the victim’s Corvette.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Mamma Mia!!

Posted by Boghound on October 16, 2011


Scottish woman wakes up with Italian accent

Momma Mia! A woman in Glasgow says she woke up woke up with an Italian accent after suffering a stroke.

Debbie McCann couldn’t speak straight away after the stroke and when her voice came back people said it sounded Chinese.

But after a while it became more Italian-sounding — and 48-year-old Debbie says people are now constantly asking her where she’s from.

It’s thought she could be suffering from Foreign Accent Syndrome, a rare condition thought to affect just 60 people around the world.

Debbie says the condition is so bad she’s embarrassed to speak to people… it must have been a while since she called for a takeaway pizza.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Don’t Peep!

Posted by Boghound on October 15, 2011


Showering ‘women’ shock shoppers

A shopping mall stunned passers-by in China with a window display which appeared to feature three young women taking a shower.

The unusual window display attracted crowds outside the store, in downtown Lanzhou, western China’s Gansu Province, reports local media.

Most people needed to look twice before they realised that the ‘women’ were actually mannequins.

And the clothes which had seemingly been draped over the shower doors were actually the latest fashions which the store was trying to promote.

One passer-by commented: "I couldn’t believe my eyes. I thought they were real women at first. It certainly caught my attention!"

A spokesman for the Xi Dan Mall said: "We wanted to attract more people, especially young people, to shop in our store during the national holiday.

"It certainly seems to have worked – we had a lot more people coming into the shop to check what it was all about."

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Cover Up…..Please!

Posted by Boghound on October 14, 2011


Rhianna: get off my land and find God, farmer tells singer

But when she chose to shoot her latest video on a farm in Northern Ireland, she found one man immune to her charms.

Farmer Alan Graham, 61, was so shocked to see the singer in his barley field wearing a red bikini that he pulled up his tractor, objected to her “inappropriate state of undress” and called a swift halt to proceedings.

While a meeting with Rihanna would be the stuff of dreams for most red-blooded males, Mr Graham instructed her to brush up on her Bible reading before sending her on her way.

“If someone wants to borrow my field and things become inappropriate, then I say, ‘Enough is enough’,” he explained yesterday.

“I wish no ill will against Rihanna and her friends. Perhaps they could acquaint themselves with a greater God.”

The father-of-four and Democratic Unionist Party alderman for North Down Borough Council had given permission for the filming on his 60 acres of land in Clandeboye, outside Bangor. The Barbadian singer was shooting a video for her new single, We Found Love.

“I never heard of Rihanna until someone called me requesting the use of my land. Someone explained she was as big as it gets as far as pop stars were concerned, but I’m a bit illiterate about those issues. I’m a bit long in the tooth for all that,” said Mr Graham.

Traffic ground to a halt on the nearby A2 as proceedings got under way, with Rihanna, 23, wearing a demure checked dress.

However, when Mr Graham drove past later in the shoot he was horrified to find that the singer had disrobed.

“Most of the video took place in a field adjacent to a main road, which was a public place. It was when the film crew went to a further away field that I felt things were becoming inappropriate and I asked for the filming to stop,” he said.

If the singer was wearing swimwear, it was unlike any that Mr Graham had encountered before. “I felt Rihanna was in more of a state of undress than a bikini top,” he said. One photograph of the shoot appeared to show her topless.

Mr Graham, a devout Christian, thought it time to impart some advice.

“I had a conversation with Rihanna and I hope she understands where I’m coming from. Everybody needs to be acquainted with God and to consider his son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and his death and Resurrection.

“I hope she understands where I’m coming from. We shook hands and parted on good terms.”

Rihanna, who has made a name for herself with provocative dance routines, is playing three sell-out shows at Belfast’s Odyssey Arena this weekend but Mr Graham has no plans to attend. He has not been paid for the curtailed shoot.

“There was no firm arrangement. I have not received any payment and I don’t know if I will,” he said.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Come To The Land Of Plenty!!!

Posted by Boghound on October 13, 2011


Police refuse to tackle burglary suspects at travellers’ site ‘over health and safety fears’

Police refused to raid a travellers’ camp where suspected thieves were hiding because the officers were worried about breaking health and safety rules.

The suspects had allegedly burgled a farm and Sean Stanley, 27, and his father Paul assumed that retrieving their stolen property would be straightforward, having followed the getaway vehicle and shown it to the team of five officers.

But the police declined to enter the camp and seize the van, insisting that they first had to carry out a “risk assessment”.

The Stanleys offered to do the job for them but were warned they would be arrested if they approached the site.

Northamptonshire Police yesterday admitted that no arrests had been made and that the vehicle and stolen property had not yet been seized following the alleged burglary on Sunday.

The Stanleys chased the thieves after their arable farm near Wootton, Northants, was raided around 10pm.

Undeterred by one suspects allegedly brandishing a shotgun as they sped off, they tracked down their van at a travellers’ site 10 miles away.

Officers arrived at Ecton Lane Travellers Site, a legal, council-owned camp near Northampton, and the Stanleys pointed out the vehicle, hoping to recover their property, stolen vehicle parts.

Sean Stanley said: “I followed them to the traveller site and could see the vehicle from the road.

“I gave police the licence plate and showed them where it was. I gave police everything on a plate but they said they had to carry out a risk assessment.

“I understand there is protocol but they are the police and should be used to dealing with things like this.

“They were scared, they wouldn’t go in. We could see the van so my dad and I said we would go and get it and we were told we would be arrested.”

His father added: “It’s a very sad situation when the police aren’t prepared to confront a situation like this.”

The burglars stole an aluminium flat bed container, wheels and bumpers from one of the farm’s lorries worth around £1,500, the Stanleys claim.

They were also attempting to steal headlights, bumpers and wheels from another vehicle on the farm when they were disturbed by a neighbour, it is alleged. The raid was the second in four months at the farm.

Northamptonshire Police said that three police officers entered the camp in the early hours on Monday but decided not to risk seizing the suspects’ vehicle.

A spokesman said: “Three police officers did enter the site at Ecton Lane and located the suspect vehicle but an assessment was made not to recover the vehicle in the early hours of this morning.

“There were various issues. It was very early in the morning and we had not spoken to the witness to the burglary at that time.

“No arrests have been made but detectives are investigating the matter and we have now taken a full statement from the victim. A complaint has been made by the victim about the decision not to recover the vehicle and this also is being investigated.

“We are reviewing whether the decision made was proportionate to the information we had been given.”

The Stanleys also complained they felt the police response was inadequate, given that one of the thieves had threatened them with a shotgun.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Fight For Your Country?

Posted by Boghound on October 12, 2011


Bus ignores war veteran, 98

A bus company has apologised after a partially sighted war veteran was repeatedly ignored at a bus stop.

Joseph Munroe, 98, from North Shields is registered blind, and lives alone.

He claims that his local service refused to pick him up claiming he was abusing his bus pass.

A Nexus spokesperson said: "We’re very sorry for the experience Mr Munroe has had. If there is a particular problem with a driver, we want it sorting out quickly."

He added: "We’ve been in contact with the bus company that provide this service on our behalf to make sure in the future Mr Munroe is always picked up."

The problems occurred on the 333, a service in North Shields which runs in a loop. Mr Munroe said he sometimes boarded the bus in the wrong direction when it was cold in order to stay warm.

He said a driver then told him, "you’re not coming on this bus, wait for the next one", and that since then the bus had driven past him at the bus stop.

Mr Munroe said: "I’m speaking to Nexus myself to get this sorted.

"First one driver told me I couldn’t get on, so I called up and made a complaint, and now [two] drivers on the route have told me I’m barred."

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: